As many of you who have read our blog "A Clear Brand Message Is Key To Your Business Success" will know, we are very passionate about the environment at MARKETINGwithETHICS.com.
In December 2015, The Discovery Channel aired a programme called ‘Racing Extinction’ which highlighted the impact humans have on wildlife and their habitats and the things we can each do to make a change. To find out where you can watch it CLICK HERE. After watching this, which I have to be honest was very difficult in parts, and with the Paris Climate Conference currently ongoing, we felt compelled to take action.
So many times we hear people say ‘What’s the point, I can’t make a difference on my own’, but that’s just NOT TRUE! If everyone made one small change in their daily lives, we could still save some of our endangered species.
If we do nothing, we stand to lose up to 50% of the world’s species in the next 100 years!
Do you really want your grandchildren growing up, only knowing the Amur Leopard as an extinct animal from the past? If we don’t do something NOW that will be a reality as there are only 6 females left in the wild.
Or the Vaquita, the smallest of the porpoise species, where there are less than 100 remaining.
But You Can Make A Difference.
Even if you are not an animal lover, these impacts affect us humans greatly and we need to make the change for our own survival. With pollution of the air and land, and acidification of the sea, our resources are depleting fast and we cannot sustain the processes we live by in the western world.
So we have a challenge for you…………
Listed below are a few things you can do personally, that will make very little difference to your daily lifestyle, yet have a HUGE impact on our environment.
In support of Racing Extinction and #StartWith1Thing, we challenge you to pick one or more of the activities below and maintain them for 30 days, starting on Monday 7th December. Our goal is to get 1,000 people to commit to AT LEAST one activity for 30 days.
*****UPDATE***** Even if you have missed the start date of the challenge, It's not too late to get involved. Still add your commitments to the comments below and take it from there. Every little helps
- Turn Off The Tap While Brushing Your Teeth – This will save up to 19 litres of water per brush, which is more water than the average Kenyan uses in a whole day!
- Turn Off Lights In Rooms You Are Not In – This reduces energy use and increases the lifespan of your lightbulbs
- Defrost Your Freezer – This reduces the energy used to maintain the temperature and the work your Freezer’s motor needs to do, therefore extending the lifespan of your freezer.
- Dry Clothes Manually – Using a tumble dryer increases your energy usage and costs up to £100 per year.
- Use Lower Temperature Washes Wherever Possible – This will take better care of your fabrics and if everyone in Europe reduced the temperature of their wash by just 3 Degrees, it would be the equivalent of eliminating the emissions of 700,000 cars!
- Turn Your Heating Down By 1 Degree – This reduces energy usage and can save 7-11% off your heating bill.
- Turn Off Home Computer When Not In Use – Computers use similar energy whether in use or idle.
- Find Out What Your Local Council Can & Can’t Recycle and Start Recycling – Recycling uses far less energy and natural resources and keeps waste from piling up at landfill sites.
- Reduce Unwanted Junk Mail – Sign up to the Mailing Preference Service. More than 100 million trees are destroyed each year to provide junk mail with 44% of this going to landfill UNOPENED!
- Ensure Your Tyres Are Correctly Inflated – Tyres under-inflated by 20% cuts its lifespan by up to 25%. Correct inflation not only lengthens its lifespan, but reduces fuel costs and effects on the environment.
- Don’t Use Individual Coffee Pots, Milk Pots & Sugar Sachets – these use more energy to produce and are rarely recyclable, therefore creating more waste to landfill sites.
- Don’t Drive Too Fast – Exhaust emissions dramatically increase in cars travelling over 55mph
- Donate Unwanted Items To Charity Shops – This helps to raise money for your chosen charity and reduces landfill.
- Shop Local – Use local independent shops to help the local community and reduce transportation emissions. Items are more likely to be local fresh produce too.
- Use Well Fitting Lids On Saucepans – This reduces the cooking time needed, reducing energy usage and costs.
- Switch Off Appliances At The Mains – leaving appliances on standby still uses energy and can increase your electricity bill by up to £80 a year.
- Don’t Defrost In The Microwave – Take food out of the freezer in time to defrost naturally, reducing energy consumption and preserves the quality of the food.
- Collect Rainwater For House Plants – Treatment plans use energy and chemicals to sanitise and reuse water for your taps and houseplants do not require chlorine based water!
- Choose Goods With Less Packaging – Uses less energy to produce and reduces waste sent to landfill sites.
- Ensure Washing Machines/Dishwashers Are Full – The energy usage is the same for each appliance whether half or fully loaded.
- Take A Shower Instead Of A Bath – A 5 minute shower uses approximately 25-80 litres of water, whereas a bath uses an average 200-250 litres.
- Meat Free Monday – Choose one evening meal a week to be meat free. It takes more than 2,400 gallons of water to produce 1lb of meat and only 25 gallons to produce 1lb of wheat.
- Cycle Or Walk For Short Trips – This not only keeps you fitter and healthier, but it reduces the emissions and saves on fuel costs.
If 1,000 people only committed to switching off the tap while they brush their teeth, we would have saved 570,000 litres of water in just 30 days!
So what are you going to commit to? Let us know IN THE COMMENTS BELOW below and every person who takes part will be entered into a draw to win a prize worth £50!
So there is our challenge. I have one last request…..Please, Please share this article to as many people as possible across your social media platforms using the hashtag #StartWith1Thing. Let’s see if we can get 1,000 people to take part for just 30 days. You never know, you may even keep the changes you have made.
This is Suzii signing out for now and remember……..sharing is caring.